Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Valentine's Day Crafts Wrap Up

Did you have a good Valentine's Day?  We had a great one here at the Copycat Queen's castle!  We ordered pizza, ate lots of candy and then went on a walk.  It was a nice night outside.  Cool enough for us to need coats and to chill our cheeks but not uncomfortable.  All in all it was a really nice, relaxing family evening.

I made a couple of cute things for the kids.  The girls just took regular old Valentine's Day cards but I made cute gifts for their teachers.  I didn't get around to making teacher gifts for my son's preK teachers but I made cute Valentine's gifts for his friends.  I forced myself to be okay with not getting everything done that I wanted to - you know how it goes!

I got my inspiration for the teachers' gifts from Classy Clutter - the same place I got my inspiration for my Valentine's Wreath.  She does such cute stuff!!  This one is her DIY Valentine's Topiary Trees Tutorial

{Photo from Classy Clutter}

I made mine a little smaller.  A while ago I got some cute little buckets from the wedding section of the Dollar Store.  I also had cute little styrofoam balls.  When I saw these cute topiaries I instantly knew I could make a smaller versions for the teachers' desks.  I followed her tutorial - it was very easy!

Cut out about a yard of crepe paper.  Fold it in half and start rolling and rolling...

 And rolling!
 Cover the back with the end of the paper and glue. 

WARNING: You WILL burn your fingers with the hot glue!  Well...I did.  LOTS.  Maybe now I can pull off the perfect crime since I probably have no fingerprints left!


Then put some glue on the back.


And glue it to the styrofoam ball.


And repeat...rolling and gluing, rolling and gluing!


And here's the finished product!  I added straight pins with pink heads to fancy it up a little bit!


They turned out so cute!  I actually had some trouble getting it anchored into the buckets.  I was using floral foam (not sure if that's the correct name of it - that's what I call it!) and couldn't get it right.  My handy husband was able to cut the foam and make it work.  I love that he can always figure things out when I can't - we're a good team.  My daughter's kindergarten teacher said she hummed the wedding song while pretending to walk down the aisle like it was a wedding bouquet!  And she said she as showing it off to all the other teachers!  Fun!

The Valentine's I made for my son's class are from Zakka Life: It's a Plane...It's a Plane...It's a Super Valentine!!.  I just printed out her printable which included different color capes and masks.  I just cut the pieces out and put them on the lollipops!  The masks go on with tape and I punched holes in the capes and they stay on over the wrapper.


 Super cute and my little guy loved them!  I even had to make one for him!!


I hope you had a wonderful Valentine's Day!  What cute crafts did you make?  

Now...on to spring/Easter crafts!!

No comments :