Thursday, February 16, 2012

Felt Fabric Flower...With A Surprise Inside

I have been obsessed with fabric flowers of all sorts.  I have been pinning fabric flower tutorials and ideas to my Fabric Flower board.

One of the first tutorials I found was from Make & Do Girl.  I loved the look of the flowers, the colors and the beautiful jewels in the middle.  There is even a template to use!  I knew I had to try it.

My first attempt...not so great.

My kids and husband were cracking up.  They're soooooo supportive.  NOT!

I knew I could do better. 

And I did!!

So next was to find a cute little something for the middle of the flower.  I searched and searched.  I couldn't find anything I liked.  When I would find something I liked it would end up being too expensive.

One day I was browsing JoAnn's and ran across Mod Podge Dimensional Magic.  I've dabbled a little in Scrabble tile necklaces so I was interested in how this product worked.  It also gave me an idea - I could make my own!  I tried Mod Podging scrapbook paper to cardboard but that didn't work and covering it with the dimensional glue but it didn't work so well.  One evening I was opening a bottle of wine and...ding, ding, ding!!  A wine cork!  I cut a small piece of a cork.

Cut out a piece of scrapbook paper and used regular Mod Podge to paste it on.


After it dried, I used the Mod Podge Dimensional Magic.  The important step to take when using this type of product is to get the bubbles out first.  Holding it upside down, squeeze a few drops out to remove the first drops which contain the bubbles.  Also have a toothpick nearby - you can use it to push any bubbles that might come out to the side.


Then just fill the entire circle with the Mod Podge.  It will look all milky but once it dries it's clear as day.  Hot glue it into the middle of the flower. 



Next I hot glued a pin to the back.


And here's how it turned out...


I love it!!  I wore it with this shirt when we went on our retreat last weekend.


It was a hit!!  Okay...go make flowers!!!

8 comments :

Astarael said...

That's really cute! I love felt flowers! Thanks for the how to :)

Stevie Moon said...

Thanks Alicia! Felt flowers are so fun!!

Madison said...

Fabulous! I must give this a try. I think your husband is just as supportive as mine! :0)

Madison xxx

Classy Clutter said...

Ohhhh my gosh! Simply adorable!!! Hope you'll link this up at our new linky party! We feature our favorites each week! We're your newest followers and we'd love to have you link up and follow if you'd like!

http://www.classyclutter.blogspot.com/2012/02/saturday-spotlight-2.html

Mallory @ Classy Clutter

nicolette {momnivores dilemma} said...

Welcome to blogging! I've never seen a cork as a flower center...

I have a few fabric flowers pinned on my inspiration board...they are fun to make.

:)
nicolette

Stevie Moon said...

Thanks so much!! Yes, hubby likes to help me out a lot but also likes to laugh at me when I mess up! I return the favor quite often!

Stevie Moon said...

Thanks!! I got linked up!!

Stevie Moon said...

They are super fun! I'm sure a cork has never been used that way - but it was the exact size I needed! I love when things just fall into place!