Wednesday, January 1, 2014

New Year Brings New Adventure - Shabby Paints Stylist

I know, I know...you tried to enjoy your New Year's Eve party. You ate, you drank, you absentmindedly hugged and kissed your loved ones at midnight. All the while thinking...what is Stevie's big announcement? Right? No? Hmmmm...

Okay, well here goes anyway.

For the past few years I've been into painting furniture. I've always wanted to paint furniture for money but never had a way to sell it so I just did what I could here and there around my house until my mom talked me into opening the booth at the antique mall.  Then I started being able to sell it for money!  Yay!

I also played around with different types of paint - mostly chalk paint. I've always loved the distressed furniture look so chalk paint is been right up my alley. This past summer I got to go to a workshop for my 40th birthday (thanks again mom!). It made me start to think about how much fun it would be to sell paint and conduct workshops.  But...like with the furniture painting, I didn't really know where to go with it. It was something that wouldn't leave my mind though.

So, I started looking into what it would take to be a retailer of chalk paint. I started praying about the possibilities and researching different avenues. In some cases I loved the paint and products but the company and people behind the company were less than appealing. In other cases, the people and the company were great but the products had flaws that I just couldn't overcome.

One day I was reading a blog post by a furniture painter and chalk paint retailer who I've followed for a while now and respect very much. She mentioned Shabby Paints and some people left comments about their amazing new finishes called Vax and ReVax (I'll go into detail about these products more specifically soon but it's a Varnish / Wax combination that is AMAZINGLY simple to use!). When I read that you didn't have to rub and buff and rub and buff some more with Vax, but instead just paint it on, I knew I had to try it out! In other words, they had me at Vax!
Shabby Paints Vax and ReVax
Then I learned more about the company and the people behind the company and I just got the best feeling about it. I tried the paint - it is so wonderful and easy to work with - and the Vax...and the ReVax...and I LOVED it all. The perfect combination - great product and great company.


I was still really nervous though. I'd check the website constantly to see if there was a Dallas retailer yet...halfway scared to death that someone would show up and I'd miss my chance...halfway hoping that someone would show up and I'd be relieved of my stress of the inner conflict I had about should I do it, how would I do it, would it work, etc.

But one day soon after we opened up the booth at the antique mall I got up the nerve to check into it. I had prayed about it, talked about it, dreamed about it long enough. My husband and my mom and my dad and well...everyone...kept saying just check into it. So I did and...

I'm SO excited to be a new retailer for Shabby Paints!!


It truly is a dream come true for me - as dramatic as that may sound - but it's the truth! I'm pretty scared and nervous as well. I guess that is normal for starting something so new!

I can't wait to tell the world more about this amazing product but for now, if you know anyone who paints furniture, please send them my way! They can find me here of course, but I'm much more active on Facebook and would love some more followers there.

The paint will be on the shelves at the Antique Gallery Mall in Mesquite sometime in the next several days.  I'll make an announcement when it's there.  And VERY soon I'll have it for sale on my FB page.

I appreciate all of the support I've received from my husband and parents especially - but also friends who I've confided in!

Here's to a wonderful new year!  I think 2014 is going to be amazing!

No comments :