Friday, July 26, 2013

Antique Hoosier Cabinet / Furniture Re-Do Reveal

A while back ago my mom held an estate sale to empty the warehouse full of furniture and clothes and other items that they had been storing of my my grandparents.  I lost 2 of my grandparents last year, one almost 3 years ago now, and one when I was 8.  I have been so blessed to have 3 of my 4 grandparents in my life for so long!

I got a few items from the sale.  One took some "work", although to me it's F-U-N!!


It is an antique cabinet piece called a Hoosier.  They used to be used in kitchens as a sort of one stop shop place to store items as well as prepare them - making bread or pies etc.  Some are way more elaborate with flour sifters and such.  See the drawers on the bottom?  They are HUGE!  They would actually keep flour in them and tools.  Someone along the lines covered the bottom of the drawers with wood grain contact paper.  I removed it (you can see the difference in the picture above) and underneath was a really neat looking stainless steel. 

At some point my mom had stenciled some flowers along the drawers and doors at the top.  I decided it would look beautiful painted in turquoise and turned into a computer desk for our den! 

Back when I was painting this (several months ago - it took me a while to finish and then find hardware etc), I was using only Annie Sloan Chalk paints - I've since switched to CeCe Caldwell's and will talk about that in a later post.  So the paint I used is Annie Sloan Provence.  I distressed it using regular Min-wax and then Annie Sloan's dark wax. I also used a white on the inside of the cupboard - Annie Sloan's Vintage White.

I am just IN LOVE with the result!!!  






In my next post, I'll talk about that piece up above the Hoosier which was done with CeCe Caldwell's Chalk and Clay paints and finishes (except for the "M" which is still using the ASCP Provence).  I'll highlight some of the differences I've found and let you know which I prefer!

No comments :