Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Spring Home Improvement Ideas...Shabby Paints Style!!

It's so cold here right now - 25 degrees as I write this!  Dallas people are not used to this kind of cold!  I am not complaining though because in the next couple of days it will get back into the 60's.  The joke here is that if you don't like the weather, just wait a minute and it will change.

Even though it doesn't feel like it right now, spring is right around the corner.  And when I think of spring for some reason my thoughts turn to my house.  Spring cleaning, organizing, and...DECORATING!  My main project this spring...actually, I'm hoping in the next few weeks, is going to be my kitchen cabinets.

I had started painting them last summer with some chalk paint but the product was making me crazy.  It was the kind I referred to in this post where you have to wait several hours before applying the finish.  Then when I would start to put the finish on, it would distress the paint away.  Now, when I'm painting furniture that is the look I like, but not on my cabinets!  So I stopped...and yes, I've been living with two different colored cabinets.  Luckily, I have a very understanding hubby and we don't do a whole lot of entertaining so the only people who have seen it this way is extended family. But, it's starting to bother me and I'm ready to do something about it!

I've been playing around with what to do and then saw this picture posted by Shabby Paints Stylist Anita from Heart and Soul Vintage.


She re-did her bathroom cabinets with Shabby Paints Worn White and Buffalo Brown Chalked Paint as well as some touches of Old Gold Shimmer Paint.  It is exactly the look I'm going for in my kitchen!  She used sheer Vax for her finish.  I think I might go with Hazelnut ReVax since I want mine a tiny bit darker.  I can't wait to get started!

The Shabby Paints Vax / ReVax or Varnish are the perfect finishes for your home project.  Not only will they provide excellent protection, you don't have to wait hours on end in between painting and applying the finish so it won't take as long to get done!  And since all you need to do is paint them on (no rubbing and buffing), they don't need to cure and you never have to re-apply...they are perfect for this type of big project!

Here is another cabinet make-over.  These are kitchen cabinets and the color is Cranberry, a custom color that our Shabby Paints Sylist Kritsi from Pieces of Time created. 



Kristi's client even painted her breadbox!  Gorgeous!

Hmmmm...what else can you do around your house with Shabby Paints?  How about your tile floors?  NO WAY you say!  Oh yes!  Check out this before and after by another client of Kristi's (she's got some creative folks buying paint from her!!)



This is Vanilla Bear Chalked Paint with Shabby Paints Varnish for protection and shine.

What about the fireplace?  Check this post out from the Shabby Paints owner!  She repainted the bricks around her fireplace and it's gorgeous!

There is no end to things you can do around your home with Shabby Paints to spruce up for spring time...and beyond!

I hope I've gotten your creative juices flowing!  Mine are - I had to take a little break while writing this and already painted one side of a cabinet door!  And now I'm trying to figure out what color to paint my fireplace mantel!

And PLEASE, send me any pictures of home improvement projects you do!  I love to get inspiration from others!


No comments :